A Suicidal Coward


A young man was standing thoughtfully on a bridge. The currents of the river below were very strong. With a far-away look in his eyes, he would sometimes sigh. He was frustrated and desperate. Then a thought arose in him, "I am very rich. I have known all the pleasures of this world. I have visited the most beautiful places, tasted the most delicious foods, and enjoyed all the pleasures that money could buy. Yet I am very unhappy now. My family is falling apart. My children died and my wife left me. I cannot stand it any longer. Although I still have my wealth, my heart is so empty and I suffer a lot." He intended to commit suicide by jumping into the raging water.

When he was about to do it, a filthy beggar approached him, "Sir, please give me some money to buy some food. I will pray for your health and long life."

Hearing this, he took out the wallet from his pocket. He took all his money and gave it to the beggar, "Take all of this," he said.

"All of this?" the beggar repeated. He could not believe his luck.

"Yes, take it all. I am going to a place where I won't need it any more," said the man. He looked back at the river below.

The beggar felt something was wrong in this man's attitude. After looking at the money and holding it for a while, he hurriedly returned it and said, "No, I won't take it. I am a beggar but I am not a coward. I don't want to receive any money from a coward! Bring your money with you to the river." He walked away quickly, shouting "Good bye, Mister Coward!"

Hearing what the beggar said, the man was very shocked. The satisfaction and happiness of giving his money to the beggar disappeared instantly. He really wanted the beggar to accept his money before he committed suicide, but the beggar refused it.

At that moment, he suddenly realized that the feeling that he felt just now, the good feeling coming from giving others in need, had given him happiness! It was a new feeling and experience for him. He looked at the river one more time, turned around, and walked away - trying to catch up with the beggar. He wanted to thank him and tell him that he did not want to be a coward. He promised himself that he would keep struggling to attain happiness by giving those in need.


Dear Kind Readers,

It is a shame to see someone end his life by committing suicide, especially over a simple matter. Courage should be put in the right place. Life will be more respectable if we have "the courage to live" rather than "the courage to die."

What is the reason behind this? Life is a responsibility, ren sen she ik cung cek ren! As warriors, no matter what kind of battles we are going to face, we must have the confidence that we have the responsibility to come to the finish line! We have the duty to carry on. Regardless of the results, the true enjoyment lies on the struggling process. The satisfaction will even be greater if the results are also beneficial for others.

How meaningful our life is if we can give something to others. It is one of our responsibilities as a human being. If we truly understand this and do it sincerely, the success we gain will even be more valuable. This way, when we meet challenges, our mentality is already well trained so that we can face them courageously. So, let us restraint from dying a coward and fill our life with the courage to live as a warrior. Life is worth living.

"Life means responsibility! Let us restraint from dying a coward and fill our life with the courage to live as a warior. Then life is worth living"
Andrie Wongso

http://www.andriewongso.com/artikel/aw_artikel

No comments:

Post a Comment